Wild Birds Unlimited Launches EcoClean Bird Feeders and Accessories with Antimicrobial Product Protection
With its new EcoClean product line, Wild Birds Unlimited is revolutionizing the way people feed their backyard birds. Available exclusively at Wild Birds Unlimited, EcoClean bird feeders and accessories feature parts that protect themselves against the surface growth of damaging bacteria, mold, mildew, fungus and other microbes.
Wild Birds Unlimited EcoClean products incorporate Agion, a patented antimicrobial agent which is based on naturally occurring silver. Silver is a naturally occurring element that has been proven safe and effective in fighting a wide range of damaging microbes.
When microorganisms come in contact with an Agion treated surface, silver ions are released on demand to the surface of the product to combat the organism. Agion's silver ion technology works against microbes in three ways:
1. It starves microbes by interrupting the cell's ability to process food.
2. It sterilizes microbes by not allowing them to multiply.
3. It suffocates microbes by blocking their oxygen intake.
Some antimicrobial products use synthetic chemicals or volatile organic substances, and these can be potentially toxic and dangerous at inappropriate levels. No such dangers are known to exist for silver.
Agion is registered with the EPA, FDA and USDA for a broad range of uses, including cell phones, shoes, keyboards and medical catheters. Wild Birds Unlimited is the first to use Agion for the hobby of backyard bird feeding.
Frequently Asked Questions about Agion
- Who is Agion? (http://www.agion-tech.com/) Agion is a leading provider of customized Antimicrobial solutions that incorporate silver ions as the primary active ingredient. The name Agion is made up of the periodic table symbol for silver (Ag) and ion for silver ions. Agion uses a technology based on silver ions. Why silver? Because it is a naturally occurring Element that when used as directed has been proven safe and effective in fighting a wide range of damaging microbes. Silver has a long history of fighting microbes; it is truly "Nature's Antimicrobial."
- Some antimicrobial products use unsafe synthetic chemical or volatile organic substances, but these can be potentially toxic and dangerous at inappropriate levels. No such dangers are known to exist for silver.
- Agion technology is used everywhere that cleanliness and hygiene on surfaces is important. It has been incorporated into fabrics, fiber and metal coatings, paper, paints, glazes and plastics, for applications that range from medical devices to food packaging to construction and the home. What is an antimicrobial? An antimicrobial is an agent that reduces or inhibits the growth of damaging microbes such as bacteria, mold, mildew, yeast and fungi.
- What is the difference between antimicrobial and antibacterial? It's all about strength! An Antibacterial agent is only effective against bacteria whereas an antimicrobial agent is effective against damaging bacteria, mold, mildew, yeast and fungi. Having the ability to inhibit the growth of multiple microbes as opposed to just one kind places the antimicrobial in a class by itself.
- What Does It Do? Agion antimicrobial technology inhibits the growth of damaging bacteria, mold and fungus that can cause odor, staining or deterioration in or on the surface of the product that itis incorporated in, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is generally designed to last for the life of the product. Agion's antimicrobial technology can literally be built into the DNA of some materialsor be applied as a coating.
- Why Use Silver? Instead of using harsh synthetic chemicals like other antimicrobial companies, Agion is dedicated to naturally occurring antimicrobial solutions. Silver is one of earth's elements that has been proven safe and effective in fighting a wide range of damaging bacteria.
- How does the Agion Technology Work? Agion is a "smart" material meaning that it will only release its antimicrobial properties when microbes are present. When microorganisms come in contact with an Agion treated surface, silver ions are released on demand to the surface of the product to combat the organism. Agion is unique in that it combats microbes in 3 ways: Starve (disrupts cell metabolism), Sterilize (inhibits cell division) and Suffocate (blocks their oxygen intake through the cell wall). This guards against the possibility of resistant strains.
- Is it Proven? Yes. Agion's antimicrobial technology has been shown to be effective against a broad range of damaging microbes both within the Agion laboratories as well as several independent commercial and university research laboratories including long-term studies under harsh conditions. Agion has been providing customized antimicrobial solutions for products for the past decade and has achieved broad approvals and registrations, proving its ability to deliver results.
- Is this registered? Agion boasts the most extensive regulatory approval package in the industry. Agion is registered with the EPA, FDA, USDA, European FSA and the European BPD to name a few. Agion is registered with these agencies for a broad range of uses including food and water contact, HVAC and building products, appliances, fibers and textiles, and cosmetic and personal products.